Tuesday, June 9, 2015

Mardin

  Welcome back dear journeystas. It's been a while that we didn't post anything since we arrive back home. I decided to start writing without waiting Culu to come back to Istanbul. You might not know but friggin Culu left me yesterday at home and went to this city called Mardin at the south east edge of Turkey. Mardin is a border town right next to Syria where all these crazy inhumanistic suffering is taking place at the moment. You might also ask why is he there then. I tell you why: He went to visit the 3. Mardin Biennial. I still can't believe he just left me here at home. I bet he has some good reasons. Anyway the city has its authentic own ancient culture and history of thousands of years. It was one of the cradles of humanity back in the time. And unbelievably it still conserves it's cultural heritage and beauty. Old Mardin still has it's unique architectural examples but at the same time the new city's trying to develop and catch the modern urban life in huge speed. Here's a glimpse of Mardin fresh from Culu's footage he sended me today. Enjoy it.


 Syria is at the far end of the horizon somewhere




























 The old city is surrounded by these tunnels and little passages. It is almost like a maze waiting for you little rats to explore its stone canals.





























It seems like a medieval european town in many ways.




























I can't believe that Culu actually found the old roller-coaster of the town.


  Well, that was Culu's short Mardin trip in order to visit the biennial. I'm not sure if he enjoyed the exhibition generally but i'm sure he enjoyed the city itself. It is worth a visit to Mardin if you guys passing by south eastern Turkey to feel thousands of years of syriac, arabic, kurdish and mesopotamian heritage and to lose yourself in history. I guess it was quite a strange experience for Culu without me over there. Anyway guys it was nice to be with you again after a long break. We will catch up the pace again soon with all the missing episodes. Until then, have a great time.





mardin from uluc ali kilic on Vimeo.

No comments:

Post a Comment